Thank you for joining me today as I feature The Sisters of Sea View by Julie Klassen on my blog, on tour with Austen Prose Tours!
- Title: The Sisters of Sea View
- Series: On Devonshire Shores (Book 1)
- Author: Julie Klassen
- Genre: Historical Romance, Regency Romance, Inspirational Fiction
- Publisher: Bethany House Publishers (December 6, 2022)
- Length: 448 pages
- Format: hardcover, trade paperback, & eBook
- ISBN: 978-0764234262
- Tour Dates: November 28 – December 12, 2022
Some guests have come for a holiday, others for hidden reasons of their own . . .
When their father’s death leaves them impoverished, Sarah Summers and her genteel sisters fear they will be forced to sell the house and separate to earn livelihoods as governesses or companions. Determined to stay together, Sarah convinces them to open their seaside home to guests to make ends meet and provide for their ailing mother. Instead of the elderly invalids they expect to receive, however, they find themselves hosting eligible gentlemen. Sarah is soon torn between a growing attraction to a mysterious Scottish widower and duty to her family.
Viola Summers wears a veil to cover her scar. When forced to choose between helping in her family’s new guest house and earning money to hire a maid to do her share, she chooses the latter. She reluctantly agrees to read to some of Sidmouth’s many invalids, preferring the company of a few elders with failing eyesight to the fashionable guests staying in their home. But when her first client turns out to be a wounded officer in his thirties, Viola soon wishes she had chosen differently. Her new situation exposes her scars–both visible and those hidden deep within–and her cloistered heart will never be the same.
Join the Summers sisters on the Devonshire coast, where they discover the power of friendship, loyalty, love, and new beginnings.
About the Author
Julie Klassen loves all things Jane—Jane Eyre and Jane Austen. Her books have sold over a million copies, and she is a three-time recipient of the Christy Award for Historical Romance. The Secret of Pembrooke Park was honored with the Minnesota Book Award for Genre Fiction. Julie has also won the Midwest Book Award and Christian Retailing’s BEST Award and has been a finalist in the RITA and Carol Awards. A graduate of the University of Illinois, Julie worked in publishing for sixteen years and now writes full time. She and her husband have two sons and live in a suburb of St. Paul, Minnesota.
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | GOODREADS
Video Interview with Julie
- “Jane Austen fans will delight in this nimble series launch…Klassen excels at weaving her various story lines, each emphasizing the colorful qualities of her characters and allowing them the space to shine. Readers will be eager for the next installment.” —Publisher’s Weekly (starred review)
- “Julie Klassen delights with a winsome love story…” —Publisher’s Weekly, on A Castaway in Cornwall
- “I couldn’t put it down! It you are a historical fiction fan you need this one on your radar! It was a spooky delight full of heart. ”—Anne Mendez, The Lit Bitch, on Shadows of Swanford Abbey
- “…a wonderfully engaging novel full of intriguing characters and storylines. I highly recommend it and can’t wait for more in the series.” —Laura Gerold, Laura’s Reviews, on The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill
AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | BOOK DEPOSITORY | BOOKSHOP | GOODREADS
Another incredible novel by a truly talented writer, Julie Klassen pens a story that is captivating and mesmerizing. I love the way this author tells stories by creating characters with realistic flaws, wonderful depth, and great growth that makes me feel like I get to know real people from long ago. I enjoyed getting to know Sarah and Viola in this novel and their journey was something that I was easily invested in as I longed to find out if they had happy endings. I am excited to read the next story in the series to see if each gets her happily ever after. I really liked the exploration of both the physical scars and hidden scars of Viola and Jack. The setting is perfect for the character growth and mysteries surrounding the characters. I could also envision strolling along the sea with the sisters. The spiritual truths are also well woven and do not feel preachy. I really enjoyed this novel and cannot wait to read the next one in the series. Most highly recommended!
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers, courtesy of Austen Prose Tours with Laurel Ann Nattress. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.